Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sex at Dawn

I recently read Sex at Dawn, a book that studies the origins of human sexuality. Everyone that I’ve spoken with that’s read it has found it an amazing read and I’m no different. If you haven’t read it I highly recommend buying it as soon as you get the chance.

It contrasts the conventional relationship with human origins, discussing that we are not biologically monogamous, delving into our primate genealogy and physical make-up as evidence. What I like most about the book is that it doesn’t say, “Man must be non-monogamous,” instead it gives evidence for you to make up your own mind and question conventional wisdom. Too often in life we follow the beliefs that our pastors, teachers, and most of all parents believe in; instead of using them as a basis for our own, we treat them as fact. If you have an open mind, Sex at Dawn will allow you to see things a different way, even if you don’t agree with their conclusions. I think it’s applications can go beyond sexual history as humankind needs to question convention and not always just accept the status quo because it’s the easiest option.

No comments:

Post a Comment