Thursday, February 18, 2010

What Makes a Relationship Tick?

A friend of mine asked me the other day why I am in an open relationship and I said because 1) I believe everyone has the capacity to love more than one person, 2) that a friendship can be enhanced by the physical act of sex (and you can probably learn a thing or two to bring back to your primary relationship), and 3) that I don't believe you can get everything you need in life from just one person.

It was that last point that was the most contentious to him. He said, "Well then you just haven't me the right girl yet." To which I responded, "Yes, yes I have." But it got me thinking, is there something that is necessary in a relationship for it to work. Say for instance you have 100 things that makes the perfect relationship and you found someone who can give you 99 of those things. What 1 thing would it take for that relationship to not work? I had a friend end a relationship that was perfect, except for religion.....but what else? Trust, companionship, passion, lust, likes, dislikes, the ability to talk about nothing at all, social views, sports.....the list can go on and on.

The supposed beauty of an open relationship is that you can have most of the things you need and obtain the others from another partner. But even in that situation is there one thing that would make you want to be with your secondary partner more than your primary one?

So that's my question. What one thing do you need above all others in order for your relationship to work?

If you have an answer please leave it as a comment, I'd love to do a follow-up post discussing people's responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment