Sunday, May 9, 2010

"What's That Mean?"

"(Bones pulls away from a kiss....pushing Booth away.....)
Bones: No, no,
Booth: Why......why?
You thought you're protecting me but you're the one that needs protecting
Protecting from what?
From me, I....I don't have your kind of open heart
Just give it a chance, that's all I'm asking
You said it yourself, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome
Well then let's go for a different outcome here, alright.....let's just....hear me out.....alright......you know when you talk to older couples......you know that have been in love for 30......40......50 years......alright...it's always the guy who says I knew.......I knew right from the beginning
Your evidence is anecdotal
I'm that guy, Bones I'm that guy I know
I.....I am not a gambler, I'm a scientist; I can't change, I don't know how.......I don't know how......(crying).....please don't look so sad
Alright....okay. You're right....you're right.....
Can we still work together?
(crying......nods head) Yeah.....
Thank-you
But I gotta move on; you know I gotta find someone who's going to love me.....in 30 year.....in 40.....in 50
I know......."

Watching the above scene brought tears to my eyes.....no matter where I go or what I do, I'll always find that in certain ways TV imitates life....I think that's the metric for good TV. Over the years, parts of certain TV shows have always made me feel an emotional connection in some way and the 100th episode of Bones was no different....a show that J and I began watching together over 5 years ago; in which 2 characters seemingly destined (if you believe in that sort of thing) to be together.....can't. Their personalities opposed in a way that cannot be changed.....you can't change who someone is. As I try to let go of J, I sometimes feel that our growth has taken us in opposite directions and that for us to be together again we would have to change; have to alter who were are; something that neither of us want of the other. I think the thing that impacted me the most about the scene was how Booth was looking for someone to love him years into the future, something that I always felt J and I would have....that each of us would be that person to love each other forever. My love for her will never wane....never cease.....but I wonder if we missed our chance.....if something were different....what if we didn't meet when we were both so young? And while I ponder this I know that what we gave each other has shaped who we are and I'm proud of the person she is today and would not want to take that away from her, no matter what our alternate reality may have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment