Wednesday, May 12, 2010

SEAF

It's already been a week and a half since I attended the Seattle Erotic Art Festival, better known as SEAF, wow how time flies. I had the chance to spend time with and meet some amazing people, look at some gorgeous artwork, watch the Cabinet of Curiousities show and see Monk do an impromtu rigging on a 4-poster metal bed, which was countered by a horrible rigging the following night by an apparently inexperienced rope top (if it wasn't above a bed, I'd would've been worried about the danger of her suspension work).

While all of the art was fantastic, ranging from paintings to metal beds (fantastic for suspension!!) to photographs from all walks of erotic life; I came very close to purchasing a painting of a woman in a japanese setting bound in a karada with her hands behind her back, but by the time I considered it my 2 favourite colours (purple and red) were already spoken for and I didn't love the other colours enough to spend $400, so I settled for a few photographs from the store. One of the more amazing (and strenuous) pieces of art was a collar that was held in place around the artist's neck by 6 hooks attached through the skin of her neck. The collar was maybe 18 inches in diameter and was made of what looked to be steel. And hanging on 12 inch cords were 24 weights holding it in place. What was really amazing was watching the artist spin around and around (as we all did when we were children) using the centrifugal force to pull the weights outwards and away from the collar. Nothing I'd wear but amazingly beautiful. I've been looking for a picture of it but alas cannot remember the artist's name. If I find one I will be sure to share it.

The Cabinet of Curiousities was a performance that pitted a young mailman against his button fetish; writing a letter to none other than Dan Savage (who also made a cameo appearance). Along his journey he received a cabinet from his late aunt that contained all sorts of erotic characters and fetishes, with performances ranging from belly dancing to puppeteering (mildy disturbing) to burlesque to rigging; that helped him be convinced that he was normal. And performances by Monk, Dirty Martini, Elizabeth Rose, Fuchsia FoXXX, Inga Ingenue (gorgeous woman and performance), Miss Indigo Blue, Paris Original (I never thought I would enjoy a gay man in a tutu so much), and Waxie Moon, along with a Stranger response from Mr. Savage helped him along his way. The show was performed both Friday and Saturday nights and was unbelieveable both times. If I had the words I'd describe the beauty of the performances I would but alas I am unable to do it justice.

I also had the luxury of spending some more time getting to know Max, L, and A and was introduced to another of Max's ladies S as well as nice, submissive woman who I'll call R. When the lights dimmed Friday and Saturday nights I had the opportunity to explore my dominant side as well as my knowledge of knots on more than one occasion. One of which led me to walk R around SEAF for 15 mins in a Hojojutsu tie, an old Japanese military bondage technique, with a convientently placed knot to make sure she didn't trip over her dress that elicited a lovely, little squeal each time the top of the rope was tugged upwards. As for the rest of it, you'll just have to use your imagination.

The weekend also allowed A and I to further develop our connection. If you recall A was my practice partner at Max's 2-day intensive and since that weekend we have been talking on a regular basis. We had made plans to meet up on Saturday, however her schedule ended up allowing her to meet me at SEAF for a couple of hours on Friday, so we got the chance to get to really know each other, this time with clothes on. I got to meet one of her partners, who I litterally handed her off to on Saturday night; he was volunteering at the event and they had plans for the evening, so we arranged to meet him at a specific time and I guided A there and delivered her to her partner, for lack of a better word, leaving me to go and entertain myself with R and L. At the time I thought it was something that I should feel awkward about (along with the us occasionally bumping into him and them making out) but I didn't. While she and I are just friends at this juncture, I had a feeling of happiness for her as I could tell that he made her happy and she was off to have a fun night. I had a similar feeling for J when I knew she was off having fun with Z, the feeling of compersion as opposed to jealousy. I think this feeling is integral to being able to succeed in polyamory because if you can't feel joy in your partner's happiness then what's the point?

After the weekend I felt a kinship with the people I spent time with, something I haven't felt with my friends in Vancouver for a long time. I felt like I could speak my mind and talk freely and openly about what was running through me head and that they'd understand and be able to offer their thoughts and opionions. Contrary to my local friends where I have to check myself before I speak or be prepared for a lack of return commentary or perplexed look. I've always had this with J, but this was different as I had that ability with friends, not just with my partner. It's a very welcome community in Seattle and I hope to try and get down there at least once a month, as I enjoy the feeling of freedom and excitement that the people there are able to give me and I think I them.

No comments:

Post a Comment