Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bar Discussions

You know you're out late when you're walking home and the late night pizza places have already closed. Last night was one of those night and as I was walking home I was thinking about a saying from an episode of How I Met Your Mother, "Nothing good ever happens after 2am..." But I've found recently that I get into some very interesting late night conversations with completely random people after 2am....mix a lot of liquor with a lack of sleep and you get reduced inhibitions and potentially entertaining conversations. I was at a friend's bar after it closed and between cleaning, organizing, and breaking glassware (we purposely shattered at least 6 empty beer and vodka bottles on the floor...because....well....the owner said he had janitors) I had an interesting conversation about blogs, bondage, hemp and polyamory with a girl that I just met who was the sister of one of the bartenders and consequently used to work at the bar.

I'm never quite sure how these conversations start, just that they do, and that I typically start them; usually they're short-lived as the other participant is scared of the topic, but not last night. I vaguely remember talking to...let's call her G......about Monk's blog and hemp. I told her about Max's classes and how I attended one in the fall and was off at the end of April to attend another. She said she thought a lot of people were allergic to hemp, which I'm actually not too sure about, but cited it's strength and smell as it advantages in bondage and mentioned that silk and bamboo rope is also quite lovely to play with. I commented that it's not always about sex, rather it can just be about the mental aspect of being bound, which she had heard from her friend that practiced bondage. She also knew about it as an art form and the beauty of knots, which I've found to be very rare for someone living in Vancouver. G said she'd always been curious but had never been bound herself (yes I know this is the time that I should've said...well if you ever want to try....but it was 4am and my brain wasn't working that fast as I was on 4 hrs of sleep being up til 5 the previous night as well; so that will be a story for another time.....). Her curiosity was demonstrated as the owner was locking the side doors with cable which she grabbed and began winding it around my neck then my wrist....didn't know what she was doing but message received.

I also talked about the relationship between Max, Monk, and Matisse and how I learned about open relationships; but before I could get too into the discussion, she pipes up, "So you're polyamorous?" Colour me shocked! A lot of people I've talked to about open relationships, know of it as just that...open relationships. Usually when I use the word poly I get blank looks and have to explain, so I've stopped using the term in public; but G knew before I even had the chance to get there. The poly discussion didn't get very far, as the night was winding down, but that someone knows and uses the word poly in Vancouver is worth mentioning.

G told me that she should take me to a Work-less party, which I had never heard of, but she said had outrageous costumes, puppy piles, and a spanking booth......however googling it showed it to be a Canadian political party that has a mandate for such things as reducing the working day from 40 to 32 hours. Thinking this can't be what she was talking about I click on a party promo link on the website to find out that this Canadian political party DOES put on such a party....doesn't really look like something that would be up my alley, but I'd go just to experience a Canadian political party throwing a party like this. At 5 we were finally kicked out of the bar agreeing to further the discussion at a later date.....if I can remember where she said she worked.....so sometimes interesting (and not always bad) things do happen after 2am....

No comments:

Post a Comment